Chicken Tortilla Soup
Kids will hone their culinary chops and math skills by making this hearty soup that boasts big Mexican flavors. What’s more, they'll marvel at how easy it is to bake their own tortilla chips to top this savory soup. A great recipe for Hispanic Heritage Month, a Cinco de Mayo party or any fiesta, any time of the year!
What You Need:
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cooked and shredded – roasted chicken makes for really flavorful soup
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 /2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ large jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped - Be sure to wear rubber gloves when handling chili peppers and avoid contact with the eyes.
- 10 cups organic chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1-15 oz. can black beans or other favorite beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cooked corn or hominy
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 avocado, diced
- Fresh lime
- Cayenne pepper
- Queso fresco or Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- Light sour cream (optional)
- Green onion, chopped (optional)
- 10-12 extra-thin, 6” corn tortillas
What You Do:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large stockpot, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Have your child add the onion and garlic to the pot and cook for three minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the broth, tomato paste, jalapeno, chili powder, oregano, cumin and bay leaf. Bring to a boil.
- Add the chicken, beans, and corn and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- While the soup simmers, make your own tortilla strips. Cut the tortillas into ¼” to ½” strips and layer them on a baking sheet. Bake for 5 minutes or until they are crispy. Keep an eye on them so they don’t burn. Bake the tortillas in a couple of batches and let them cool.
Now it’s time to indulge! Ladle the soup into a bowl and top with a dash of cayenne pepper, cilantro, avocado, a squeeze of lime, dollop of sour cream and green onion if using, cheese and tortilla strips. For an extra treat, make homemade guacamole to accompany tortilla chips or pita chips on the side!