Clothing Craft: Make Button Hearts!
Don't wear your heart on your sleeve, wear it on your shirt! For Valentine’s Day or any other time you want to share the love, make these cute felt button decorations and add some flash to your fashion!
What You Need:
- Red or pink felt squares (big enough to cut out several heart shapes)
- Clothes with buttons on them, such as a shirt, coat, or cardigan sweater
- Optional: black permanent marker
- Optional: google eyes and liquid glue
What You Do:
- Help your child round up some coats, shirts, or cardigan sweaters that have buttons on them and could use a little snazzing up. She may want to pick out clothes that are not red or pink so that the hearts will show up better against them.
- Help your child cut heart shapes out of red or pink felt material. The hearts should be about 1 ½ - 2 inches wide by 1 ½ or 2 inches height in size. To help the hearts keep their shape, have her first cut out a tracer heart on cardboard or paper, then trace around the cardboard heart onto the felt.
- Help her to make small slits with the scissors in the middle of the heart. Look at the buttons on clothes she picked out to see what size buttons she will be covering. This will determine how big the openings need to be.
- Your child can slip the heart shapes over the shirt or sweater buttons. If she would like something a little more elaborate, give her some wiggle eyes to glue onto the hearts to make "faces". The button will become the heart’s nose. She can also add glitter, sequins, rhinestones, or ribbons. Let her imagination run wild decorating!
- She’ll get a warm, fuzzy feeling wearing hearts, and enjoy showing off her heart-decorated outfit.