One of the best ways to start learning how to tell time is by making your very own clock! Your child will love making this adorable clover clock using a paper plate and foam clovers. Along the way, he''ll get practice tracing and cutting out repeated patterns.
What You Need:
- Green foam (two different shades of green)
- Black marker
- Paper plate
- Construction paper
- Glitter glue
What You Do:
- Have your child draw a clover on a piece of dark green foam. It should be about 2" x 2".
- Have him cut out the clover and then trace it 5 more times on the dark green foam, and 6 times on the light green foam. He now can cut out all of the pieces.
- Help him arrange the cut out clovers to form the hour marks of a clock. The "12" will be at the top and the "6", will be directly across on the bottom.
- Once all of the clovers are in place, have him carefully glue them down.
- He can then draw the correct numbers on each clover to create the face of the clock.
- Draw out clock hands on the construction paper, a long one for the minutes and a short one for the hour. They should fit onto the face of the clock without extending over the edges. If they extend over, cut them down.
- Stack the clock hands on top of each other and place them on the plate with the base of the hands in the center.
- Help your child poke a hole through the base of the paper hands and the center of the paper plate.
- Have him push a brad through the hole and unfold it on the back of the plate to hold the clock hands in place.
- Now he's ready to tell time!