Every little adventurer needs a place to store all her fun finds—from coins to oddly shaped rocks! Help your kid make beautiful coin rubbings to decorate a fun treasure box.
What You Need:
- White paper
- Small box with lid
What You Do:
- Have your child find crayons that match the color of each of her four types of coins. She should have a brown crayon for the pennies and a gray crayon for the quarters, nickels and dimes.
- Let her place the white paper over one quarter.
- Encourage her to use her finger to rub the quarter first. Does she feel the small bumps?
- Now let her use the gray crayon to make her coin rubbing. Help her out if she has trouble -- coin rubbing can take some practice.
- Once she has mastered the quarter, have her move on to the smaller coins.
- Take a look at her coin rubbing paper. Could it use some color? Have her use bright jewel tones like purple, blue and green to make more coin rubbings.
- After she has covered the sheet of paper in rubbings, it's time to make her coin box.
- Help her wrap the box with the coin rubbing paper.
- Use the scissors to cut the excess paper.
- Have her glue the coin rubbing paper in place.
- Let her use the excess paper to cover the lid of the box.
- Now your child has a special box for all her coins and other assorted treasures!
Coin rubbing boxes make perfect gifts as well. Help your child create boxes full of little snacks or knick-knacks for all the special people in her life.
Washington Virtual Academies
Tuition-free online school for Washington students.