A conch is a shellfish that is native to the warm Caribbean waters. It is also a local favorite of Bahamians, who eat conch fried, steamed and diced into tiny pieces and served as the main ingredient in conch salad. This simple, healthy recipe is delicious and can be served as a side or main dish. Bring a little Caribbean taste to your family and serve up a scrumptious batch of conch salad tonight.
What You Need:
- 4 conch, cleaned and skin removed, or 1 pound readymade (Conch can be found in some grocery stores, but the best place to find it is a local fish market.)
- 1 small onion
- 1 stalk of celery
- 1 large tomato
- ½ cup lemon or lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Large bowl
What You Do:
- Dice up the conch into small cubes.
- Dice up the onion, celery and tomato into small pieces.
- Combine all the ingredients and mix well.
- Pour in the lemon (or lime) juice.
- Mix until all ingredients are combined.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- For more flavor, place the bowl in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes.
- Mix before serving.