Construction Paper Flowers Activity
Make a beautiful floral bouquet for Mother's Day! Small flowers are created by making tiny cuts around circular pieces of construction paper. By adding thin, curled details to the paper flowers, the bouquet looks as beautiful as real flowers, but it'll last much longer!
What You Need:
- Construction Paper
- Glue stick
- Small jar, or juice glass
What You Do:
- Have your child cut a sheet of construction paper into a square. This will become the holder for the bouquet.
- With the square in front of him, have him fold one end into a point, like the beginning of a paper airplane.
- Then, with the folded point on one side, there will be flaps at the opposite, fold these flaps back opposite one another to make an opening for the bouquet. Glue the flaps in place and glue underneath the folds to hold all paper in place. Set the floral holder to the side.
- On various colored sheets of paper, trace the bottom of a juice glass or small jar to make circles. Make as many as you like to fill the bouquet holder. Ours held 6. Cut out all circles and set aside.
- To create the circles for the center of the flowers, have him trace a quarter on one color of paper. He should make as many small circles as he has large ones. Cut these out and glue them to the center of the large circles.
- Have him cut tiny lines from the edge of the flower to the center of the flower, without cutting the center circle. Continue cutting tiny lines all the way around the circle to complete the petals for the flowers. Repeat for all of the circles.
- Cut out enough thin green strips of paper to create stems for each of the flower heads and glue one on the back side of each flower head.
- He can now glue the flowers and stems into the paper flower holder, cutting down any stems that are too long.
- Have him cut a few additional small strips of green paper, and gently curl them with a pair of scissors. Glue these around the flowers to fill in any gaps and make your bouquet "jump off" the paper.
- Tie a bow with ribbon and glue it just under the paper folds.