When it comes to snack time, you can't have much more fun than a treat in a yummy edible bowl. Most recipes call for making the dough from scratch and the baking tends to create quite a mess. Here’s a quick and easy way to make cookie cups with refrigerated dough baked inside a muffin pan. No more worries about making the dough too thin or having it tear!
What You Need:
- Refrigerated cookie dough (break apart works best)
- Muffin pan
- Plastic knife
- Cooling rack
What You Do:
- Show your child how to preheat the oven according to the package instructions for the cookie dough.
- Section off just enough dough to almost fill the space in the muffin pan. How much dough you use for each “muffin” will depend on the pan size. We made our sample in a standard pan with dough that you break into cubes. We used three cubes of dough, the equivalent of three cookies.
- Work the dough slightly, smoothing away any obvious seams.
- Place the dough in the ungreased muffin pan. The ball of dough should be about level with the top of the muffin pan, but with a small amount of space between the dough and the sides of the baking cup.
- Repeat steps 2 through 4 until all of the baking cups are full.
- Help your young chef put the muffin pan into the preheated oven.
- Help your child set the oven timer.
- When the cookie cups are golden brown, remove them from the oven. They will have flattened against the sides of the muffin tin and collapsed slightly in the middle, forming a cup shape.
- Emphasize this cup shape by using the spoon to slightly push in the sides of the cookie bowl. Help your child with this step.
- Sprinkle a small amount of sugar in the bottom of each bowl.
- Let your cookie cups cool in the pan for approximately five minutes.
- Use a plastic knife to loosen the sides of the cookie bowls from the pan. Help your child remove each bowl and put it on the cooling rack.
- Fill with a combination of fresh fruit and chocolate shavings or chocolate chips to serve. If you used a mini muffin tin, you may want to fill the cups with small servings of pudding.