How to Make a Jewelry Box
Craft a pretty Mother's Day jewelry box that's fit for a queen (or at least an awesome mom)! Your child can design and create her own handmade jewelry container out of simple art materials and reused household items. This is a great way to recycle, and make something truly special for mom, too!
What You Need:
- Small box with a lid (used tea bag boxes work well)
- Tempera paint
- Paint brushes
- Construction paper
- Clear drying, non-toxic glue
- Sequins or glitter
What You Do:
- Search the house for an acceptable box to reuse. This is a great time to talk to your child about the environment and reusing or re-purposing items instead of throwing them away. If you're looking for a good box structure, try a tea bag box. These are generally the perfect size and come with a flap lid that's already attached (so she won't have any trouble with missing pieces!).
- Have her choose a theme such as colors or patterns, and encourage her to brainstorm some words that describe Mom. Think of adjectives or fun sayings such as, "Mom is magic!" or "Brilliant!". Add these to the jewelry box masterpiece so that mom is always reminded of how lovingly she's viewed by her little artist.
- Have your child paint the box. Start with a solid color—maybe Mom's favorite—and then add patterns of different shapes and sizes.
- Cut small heart shapes from the construction paper. Have her think of words or phrases that describe Mom. For an added twist, consult a poetry book for lines from loving works by beloved authors. Encourage her to write these words and phrases onto the hearts using markers. If your child is having trouble writing, she may need to have an adult helper write the letters first with pencil. The pencil lines can be traced over with a marker.
- Ask her to glue the hearts to the box.
- Invite her to add sequins or glitter for some added sparkle. To create glittery hearts, try tracing the outlines with glue lines, and then sprinkling glitter on top. This will make for a shiny outline that highlights the special descriptive words.
- After it has dried thoroughly, give it to Mom!
Want to add a little something to this gift? Help your kid make some handmade jewelry that comes straight from the heart. Fill up the jewelry box, turning it inti a plethora of handcrafted beauty.