Transform old crayons into a work of art with this clever project! With the help of baking cups, your artsy kid will melt crayons into adorable hearts. These cute crafts make perfect gift and party favors.
What You Need:
- Heart-shaped silicon baking cups
- Cookie sheet
- Oven mitt
What You Do:
- Preheat your oven to 250 degrees.
- While the oven heats, have your little crafter help you unwrap the paper from the crayons. Remember you don't need to buy brand new crayons for this project: old, broken crayons work just as well!
- As you work, talk to your child about making a new set of crayons from these broken pieces. You will need approximately four crayons per baking cup.
- Once the paper has been fully removed, help her break the crayon into tiny pieces (approximately 1/2 inch is a good size).
- Have your child drop the crayon pieces into the baking cups. Some people like to keep similar colors together -- orange with yellow, pink with red, etc -- but she can combine the crayons in any combination she likes.
- Place the baking cups on the cookie sheet in the heated oven.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until crayons have melted. Once you get to about 8 minutes you can watch through the oven window as the crayons melt and swirl together.
- Use an oven mitt to remove the melted crayons from oven and allow to cool.
- When the crayons have cooled, help your child pull the sides of the baking up away from the crayon and slip your finger underneath to release the crayon completely from the baking cup.
- Put your crayon hearts on display or use them as regular crayons!
Check out craft stores for more silicon baking cup options. What other shapes can your child make with her crayons?