What You Need:
- White drawing paper
- Black tempera paint
- Large paintbrush
What You Do:
- Invite your child to take a look at some famous artwork online using the Internet or at your local library. She can take a closer look at how the texture of older paintings changes over time, giving them a crackled look.
- Offer her a sheet of white drawing paper to create a drawing or design. Encourage her to press hard with her crayons so her marks will really show through later!
- Once your second grader is finished with her drawing, she can take the paper and crumple it up into a small ball, and then spread it out flat again.
- Invite her to brush over her drawing with a couple of drops of black tempera paint watching as her drawing changes!
- Now she can add the final crackly touch by adding a coating of brushed glue over the top of the dried tempera paint.
Your second grader’s finished crackle creation can adorn her door or be used for the front of a book cover!