Your child can add bling to her bike with bicycle basket decorations, making her bike a stylish ride!
What You Do:
- Help your child attach plastic or fabric flowers to the basket by tying them on with embroidery thread or yarn, or use safety pins to attach the back of the items to the basket. You can use scissors to poke a hole in the back of plastic or fabric flowers if needed for pulling yarn or thread through the back.
- She can attach foam stickers (peeling off backs of stickers) to the basket. However, don’t use only foam stickers, as they aren't as durable as the other items.
- Help her attach buttons, beads, or other plastic decor items also using thread, yarn, or safety pins.
- She may wish to wrap brightly colored pipe cleaners through the basket’s holes and twist the pipe cleaners into pretty shapes on the outside of the basket as further decoration.
- Pretty ribbon can be woven in and out of the basket along edges if desired. Tie the ribbon’s end knots inside the bicycle basket so that they don’t show on the outside of the basket.
Take a photo of your finished bicycle basket creation! She will want to proudly ride her bike through the neighborhood to show off the new “bling”!
Beth Levin has an M.A. in Curriculum and Education from Columbia University Teachers College. She has written educational activities for Macmillan/McGraw-Hill and Renaissance Learning publishers. She has a substitute teaching credential for grades K-12 in Oregon, where she lives with her husband and two daughters.