Designing your own shoes is the ultimate fashion statement for fashion-forward kids who enjoy expressing themselves through their wardrobe. Using a pair of plain white canvas shoes, your child can embrace his inner designer and create a look all his own. No rules or restrictions here—these shoes are a blank canvas, open to whatever your heart desires.
What You Need:
- Pair of plain white canvas shoes
- Fabric glue
- Fabric scraps recycled from old shirts or pants
- Craft stick
- Stencils (optional)
What You Do:
- Ask your child to brainstorm a few designs on paper. Encourage him to think about the fabric he has to work with. For example, he could cut out small squares to create a checked pattern, create a fabric collage, design a heart or circle polka dot motif, or make simple stripes. Whatever he likes goes!
- Once he has decided on a design, have him trace it on the back of the fabric with pencil and cut it out.
- Help him use fabric glue to attach the fabric pieces to the canvas shoes. Use the craft stick to press the fabric down and smooth out any bumpy parts.
- Let the shoes dry thoroughly before wearing them. You can also spray scotch guard on the shoes to protect them from dirt and rain.