Write a Silly Dinosaur Poem Activity
Poetry is a simple and creative way for children to express themselves. Writing poems helps build vocabulary and increase fluency while challenging your child to focus her active imagination. Instead of having your kid come up with one of the more standard poems, show her the fun side of poetry by having him compose a funny poem about dinosaurs.
What You Need:
- Books about dinosaurs, or Internet access
- Colored pencils
What You Do:
- First have your child decide which type of dinosaur she wants to use as her main character. Look through the dinosaur books or browse the Internet and find the main characteristics of the type of dinosaur she's decided to feature in her poem. Have her give the dinosaur a name.
- Encourage your child to decide on a humorous situation for her character. Personifying a dinosaur and having it involved in activities that people usually do can be quite funny.
- Create a list of interesting words to use in the poem and ask your kid to keep track of all the words by printing the list on a piece of paper.
- Now, brainstorm with your child and try to find a rhyming twin for several of the vocabulary words.
- Your child can begin by creating 2 sentences that introduce the poem. The last word of the second sentence should rhyme with the last word of the first sentence.
- Continue the rhyming pattern until she has created five pairs of rhyming sentences that describe her funny dinosaur situation.
- Print the entire poem neatly on a piece of lined paper.
- Once her poem is complete, she can give it a title and draw a picture to illustrate it.
- Have her use the pencil to draw her illustration on a separate piece of paper. Add color to the drawing with colored pencils. Your child can attach the drawing to the poem with a staple or she can cut out the drawing and glue it to the bottom of the poem page.