Encourage local wildlife to settle down in your backyard with this adorable bird nest craft. Your crafty kid will use basic art materials to create a lifelike nest and a few bird inhabitants. Just hang up the completed project in a nearby tree or bush and wait for some friendly neighbors to arrive!
What You Need:
- Cardboard egg carton
- Hole punch
- Hay or dry grass
- Small piece of orange felt
- Small piece of blue felt
- Blue craft pom poms
- 6 googly eyes
- 9 inches of ribbon or yarn.
What You Do:
- Carefully cut one cup out of the egg carton.
- Poke a hole on each side of the cup so that you can later put a hanging string in.
- Have your child cut the hay or yarn or grass into pieces that are two inches or less in size. .
- Help her coat the inside and outside of the cup with glue.
- Next, have her place the hay or yarn pieces on the inside and outside of the egg cup. An informal arrangement is easiest and looks more realistic!
- Let the nest dry.
- To make the mother bird’s beak, help your child cut out long triangles from the orange felt.
- Help your child glue the bottom of the two orange triangles together, using a toothpick and tiny bit of glue. Have your child keep the tip part of triangles apart to suggest an open beak.
- Make beaks for the baby birds, using smaller triangles for each.
- Have her glue the beaks to the baby birds' heads.
- Let the beaks dry.
- Have your child cut wings for each bird out of the blue felt.
- For the final touch, help her use a toothpick to glue a pair of googly eyes to each bird's head.