DIY Birthday Banner Activity
Save some money on the decorations with this simple birthday banner that your child can make himself! All he'll need is a handful of art supplies to create this fun and bright banner -- and he'll probably never suspect that he's also practicing his handwriting!
What You Need:
- Construction paper
- Scratch paper
- Hole punch
What You Do:
- Help your child select bright sheets of construction paper that represent his favorite colors.
- Show him how to lay the sheets on the ground, end to end.
- Have him carefully tape each of the sheets together.
- Tell him to flip the entire banner over.
- Before he actually draws on his banner, have him practice writing "Happy Birthday" on the scratch paper. (If he's up for a challenge, have him tackle bubble letters with the help of these handy how-to guides.)
- Once he's done practicing, have your child write "Happy Birthday" on the banner.
- Next, help him cut out colorful circles from the construction papers, one circle for each letter in the birthday kid's name.
- Let him write the appropriate letters in each cut-out circle.
- Help him glue the circles in order on the banner.
- Carefully show your child how to use the hole punch. At a minimum, the banner will need holea in the upper left and right-hand corners.
- String the banner up and get ready to surprise a lucky birthday kid!