DIY Pencil Holder
Who needs overpriced pencil holders from the store when you and your creative kid can make beautiful holders from scratch? Get inspired by nature and use recycled materials to create unforgettable pencil holders in time for the Back to School season.
What You Need:
- 4 recycled paper rolls
- Tempera paint
- Construction paper
- Craft knife
- Cardboard from a recycled cereal box
- Cutting mat
- Thin black marker
What You Do:
- Paint each paper roll using tempera paint. Let each roll represent a season. You can add snowflakes to winter's roll, red leaves to autumn's, etc.
- Choose one paper roll. Measure out three sides of a rectangle (2.5 inches on the sides and 2 inches across the top), starting at least 1/4 of an inch from the top of the roll.
- Flatten the cut out rectangular part onto your cutting mat.
- Choose a style tree to represent the season you have already painted on the roll. Draw the tree in detail using a pencil.
- Use a craft knife to carefully cut the silhouette of the tree, discarding the negative space of the rectangle.
- Draw in the details of the tree with a thin black marker.
- Cut a strip of construction paper and wrap it around the roll, behind the silhouette tree. Tape it in place.
- Repeat for all 4 rolls.
- Line the rolls up in a row.
- Cut a strip of cardboard (5" x 2") and attach it to the back of the rolls to hold them in place.
- Cut another piece of cardboard (6" x 3"). Paint the cardboard and allow it to dry.
- Mount the rolls on top of the cardboard with glue to keep them securely in place so nothing falls through the bottom of the rolls.
- Fill the rolls with pencils, pens and markers to keep your desk organized and beautiful throughout the seasons!