One of the many longstanding symbols of peace and unity is that of the beautiful dove. As Martin Luther King Jr. spoke of uniting the hands of people of all races and heritages, this iconic dove has come be be associated with this great orator. Displaying grace and poise, images of this beautiful bird are often hung to represent joy and purity, but also peace and harmony.
Your child can show her respect for the words of Martin Luther King, Jr. by creating her own hanging dove decor! Invite her to adorn her room, doorways, or window sills with these signs of peace. She'll be boosting her motor and conceptual skills while you engage her in a discussion about the struggle for equality faced by African Americans.
What You Do:
- Begin by helping your child draw the shape of a dove on a piece of construction paper. Let her choose to draw one that is either perched or in flight. Once the first dove is drawn, ask her to cut it out.
- Have your child trace this dove shape onto multiple pieces of paper. Although doves are normally white, she can use multiple colors of construction paper to create a beautiful array of birds. Cutting out at least eight or nine of them will allow for a lengthy string of doves.
- Once all the doves have been traced and your child has carefully cut them out, encourage her to draw faces or other embellishments on the doves. Remind her of the parts of the dove: beak, little feet, and eyes. Invite your child to also add a little vest, hat, or whatever else she wants.
- After your child has decorated each dove, help her cut a length of string that is long enough to incorporate each dove and leave enough room at the ends to tie or hang them on the wall or doorway. Space the doves out as evenly as you can and help her attach them to the string using the hot glue gun.
- After each dove has been affixed and the glue has dried, help your child hang up the decor. Allow her to choose the site and if it is out of reach, either tie it up, tack it down with pins, or use a bit of tape to hang it up.
Your child will be delighted with her colorful homemade decoration. It's sure to provide a lasting reminder of the importance of peace and unity!