Draw a Mandala
A mandala drawing is a geometric pattern that represents the universe. For many eastern religions, the mandala is a sacred art form. Most are made up of a square format, with concentric circles and a circle as the center point. Now your child can draw your own beautiful mandala with this easy technique that ensures symmetrical results every time! Measuring, math and coloring all work together to make this piece of art.
What You Need:
- Square sheet of paper
- Colored Pencils or watercolor paints
What You Do:
- Have your child make an X on the paper by using a ruler to make two diagonal lines, from corner to corner. Make sure these pencil line are not too dark if you want to erase them at the end.
- Next, he can draw a cross on the paper by drawing a vertical and horizontal line across the middle of the paper. All the lines should now meet in the center point of the paper.
- Measure 1" from the center point and make a light mark on each of the eight lines. Then measure 1.25" from those marks and make another set of light marks on the lines. Finally, measure 1.5" from the previous marks and mark the lines again.
- Place the tip of the compass on the center point of the drawing and line it up to the first 1" mark. Draw a circle in the center of the paper.
- Repeat Step 4 for the two other marks, so you have three concentric circles in the center of the paper.
- Now, starting from the center and using colored pencils, your child can draw pedal or tear drop shapes, following the lines and stopping at the first circle. Encourage him to make them roughly the same size.
- Once he has completed one circle, go to the next one, adding more flower or pedal shapes. It looks great when two different colors are used for this step.
- Continue working from the center out, adding decorative shapes. Once all the circles are filled in, your child can carefully erase the pencil lines.
- If he wants, your child can add watercolor paints to the mandala for an extra boost of color and contrast.
Did You Know: Many people in Asia display their mandalas facing a door so that wealth and happiness will be attracted to their home!