Every year, it's always wonderful to do various projects for Earth Day to teach kids the importance of taking care of our planet. These projects help create awareness that sticks with kids for a lifetime. A great project the two of you can do together is to create an Earth Day plate. Not only will you have fun creating it, but your child can eat off the reusable plate as often as he likes!
What You Need:
- White plate
- Blue food safe porcelain paint marker
- Green food safe porcelain paint marker
- Picture of the Earth
What You Do:
- While looking at a picture of the Earth, help your child use blue and green food safe porcelain paint markers to draw a picture of the planet at the center of the plate. As he's drawing the picture, talk to him about the different continents and countries and where each of them are in relation to where you live.
- Help him use the green marker to write Earth Day across the top and bottom of the plate.
- Have your child use the blue marker to write all of the things he loves most about the planet along the edge of the Earth Day plate.
- Preheat the oven according to the directions on the porcelain paint marker package.
- Put the plate in the oven.
- Bake the ink onto the plate for approximately 30 minutes.
- Use potholders to remove the plate from the oven.
- Let your plate cool off before handling.
- Encourage your child to use his reusable plate! Each time he uses it, you can ask him different questions about the countries or more general questions about our planet.
Washington Virtual Academies
Tuition-free online school for Washington students.