Easter Bunny Craft
Easter bunnies are hopping good fun. Help your child get in on the springtime adventure with a craft made from things you probably have lying around the house.
What You Need:
- Plastic egg
- Heavy white glue
- Matching felt
- Plastic soda bottle cap or ring cut from a cardboard tube
- Red or pink felt or a very small pink pom pom
- Small piece of cardboard
- Googly eyes
What You Do:
- Have your child add glue to the narrow end of the egg and coil the yarn around the egg. After wrapping the yarn around a few times, hold it in place until the glue sets.
- Working with about a ½ inch of the egg at a time, add glue and help your child coil the yarn around the egg, covering it as completely as possible. Take a break at about the halfway point to allow the glue to dry. When you take a break, you can rest the egg on a plastic soda bottle cap or a ring cut from a toilet paper tube.
- Have your child continue to add glue and yarn until the egg is completely covered. If the base is a little sloppy, don’t worry. You are gluing feet over this section so it won’t show.
- Ask her to cut a round piece of felt, between the size of a nickle and a quarter, and glue it over the yarn at the base of the egg. Let the glue on the bunny’s body dry.
- Cut a pair of feet out of the cardboard. Have your child use these as a pattern to cut a matching pair of feet out of felt. Glue the felt feet to the cardboard feet.
- Glue the feet to the body and let dry. It is easiest for the feet to set with the bunny standing, although you will have to prop it up.
- While the glue dries, have your child cut out two bunny ears from the felt.
- Add a thin coating of glue to the base of each ear. When the glue has set, pinch the base of each ear together slightly to cup it into a realistic ear shape.
- Apply a generous drop of glue to the place where you plan to put the ears. Add the ears and hold them in place to set.
- Glue googly eyes in place.
- Take the pom pom or the tiny triangle cut from pink or red felt and glue it to your bunny's face to make a nose.
Add your child’s creation to the family centerpiece this Easter so that she can share her work with others. She can also make a whole warren of bunnies in various colors. Experiment with fuzzy yarn, crinkly yarn, chunky yarn and more.