Easy French Toast
French toast may be a decadent treat, but your little chef can actually make it himself! Use this simple recipe to walk your child through the steps of mixing and baking to create this sweet breakfast staple.
What You Need:
- Sliced French bread
- Mixing spoon
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Glass baking dish
- Powdered sugar
- Oven mitts
What You Do:
- Show your child how to preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Have him arrange the sliced French bread on a plate.
- Crack the eggs into the mixing bowl.
- Let your child use a mixing spoon to beat the eggs.
- Have him add the cinnamon, vanilla and brown sugar to the bowl before mixing for at least five minutes.
- Show him how to carefully dunk each slice of bread into the egg mixture, coating both sides.
- Once he finishes dipping a slice of bread, have him place it in a greased baking dish.
- When the baking dish is full, pop the entire thing into the oven.
- Set the timer for 20 minutes.
- When the timer dings, use oven mitts to remove the dish and set it aside to cool.
- Let your child pour the pecans, butter and brown sugar into the saucepan.
- Let this bake for another 20 minutes.
- Once the butter is all melted and the pecans have carmelized, take out the saucepan with oven mitts.
- Help your child sprinkle this yummy mixture over the cooled French toast.
- Serve and enjoy!