This Halloween, explore the color orange with your preschooler by creating an edible picture using orange foods. You can follow our example and create a simple likeness of a man, or put together your own design. The beauty of this activity is that it calls for ingredients that you probably already have on hand, such as oranges, carrots, and American cheese.
As your little one builds his creation, and snacks along the way, he'll compare and contrast different textures such as soft and crunchy, and explore flavors such as salty and sweet. To inject a little extra learning, give him a mini anatomy lesson to boost his vocabulary and self-esteem!
What You Do:
- Ask your child to place a slice of cheese on his work surface. This will be the man’s body. Talk about other words that describe our upper body, such as “torso” or “chest.”
- Have him cut a circle out of the second piece of cheese to form the man’s head. Ask him to place it on top of the man’s torso.
- Using the third piece of cheese, help him cut strips for the arms, legs, and neck. Have him put the body parts where they should be. As your child works, point to two or three of your own bones and explain what they're called. For instance, as your child lays down the legs, you can mention that the “patella” is another word for kneecap; and as he sets the torso down, show him where the “clavicle” or collarbone is. Repeat each term a few times so that your child can commit the new words to memory. Imagine how amazed friends and family will be when your child points to various parts of his body and rattles off their names!
- Once the body is constructed, slice the carrot into coins for the eyes and hands and have him arrange them on the man's face.
- Slice the bell pepper into thin strips for the mouth and eyebrows. Encourage your child to use his imagination to accessorize the man, say with a tie and pocket.
- Help your child grate the carrots and arrange them around the man’s face for hair. Grated carrot can also be used to create grass for the man to stand on.
- Finally, use two orange slices to form the man’s feet/shoes.
Now that your little man is complete, there's only one thing left to do: give him a name!
**This activity is peanut free, tree nut free, and vegetarian.