Newly-hatched chicks are one of the cutest Spring things! Now you can have these precocious peeps around any time of year, with this simple egg carton craft idea. Egg-shaped boxes make a perfect home for these fuzzy creatures. This recycled craft lets your child practice her cutting and crafting skills while bringing together both chicken and egg.
What You Do:
- Have your child put a bit of the yellow paint and a few drops of water into a ziploc bag and mix well.
- Place cotton balls in the bag to soak up the paint.
- Put the wet, yellow cotton balls on a piece of wax paper to dry.
- Now your child can cut one cup out of the egg carton.
- Show her how to cut the edges in a zigzag pattern. so the carton looks like half of a cracked egg-shell.
- Paint the shell white, or leave it natural for a brown egg.
- Glue a dried yellow cotton ball into the bottom of the carton cup.
- Glue a second yellow cotton ball on top of the first ball. This is the baby chick!
- Cut a small triangle out of orange construction paper for the beak, and fold it in half.
- Glue the beak onto the cotton ball.
- Glue googly eyes above the beak.
Make a few more and place them in a basket for a whole family of chicks!