Shake It! A Number Recognition Game
Don’t throw away that empty egg carton! You can use it to make a really fun basic number game that will reinforce your child’s number recognition skills. Sometimes it can be hard for kids to keep numerals and the amount they represent straight. Help your kid get a handle on numbers with this easy-to-assemble math activity.
What You Need:
- Empty egg container (one that held a dozen eggs)
- Small object good for shaking
- Cute stickers to decorate the egg carton (optional)
What You Do:
- Write the numerals 1–12 randomly in each section of the egg carton.
- If you think decorating the egg carton might increase your child's attention span, find some stickers to decorate the egg carton to make it more colorful and fun.
- Put a small object (we used a button) inside the egg carton that will make a little noise when the lid of the carton is closed and shaken up.
- Have your child close the lid of the carton and shake, shake, shake it!
- Then have her open the lid of the egg carton and see where the object has landed.
- Have your child say the number of the compartment where the object is aloud, write the numeral down and then draw tally marks next to the number that show what the numeral actually represents.
- Repeat steps 3–5 until the object has landed in each compartment at least once.
Take turns playing the game with your child. Whoever is the first one to get the object to land in each compartment at least once wins!