Egg Carton Spiders
Skeletons, witches, ghosts … it’s that spooky time of year! Get into the Halloween spirit by creating some creepy (but cute) spiders using paper egg cartons, a dab of paint, and a few pipe cleaners. Cutting, painting, and decorating encourage growing creativity and help kids develop those all-important fine motor skills. The spiders make adorable wall and table decorations, or a fun craft activity for a party or classroom.
What You Need:
- Paper egg carton
- Pipe cleaners
What You Do:
- Help your child cut out one of the sections from the egg carton to form the body of the spider.
- Place the cut-out section on your workspace with the outside part facing up. Invite your child to paint it.
- When the paint is dry, help her poke four small holes on each side. Insert a 3–4 inch length of pipe cleaner in each one and fold down on the inside to secure.
- Bend each pipe cleaner leg in the middle to form spider-like legs.
- Encourage her to draw or paint other details on the spider, such as eyes or spots.
For a spooktacular display, make several spiders and arrange them on a “web” of yarn or thinly stretched cotton. Hang the web on a wall or the front door to spook incoming guests and trick-or-treaters.
Want even more fun spider stuff? Check out these seven spider printables: