Estimating Numbers Activity
Use familiar household items and decorations to turn estimation into a fun game! This exercise in estimation is great for any fourth grader learning how to measure different items.
What You Need:
- Tape measure
- Objects for measuring (see below)
What You Do:
- Make a list (your child can help) of items that your child can measure. For the holidays, for example, the list can include some of the following: light bulb, candy cane, ornaments, wreath, popped popcorn and cookies.
- On a sheet of paper, help your child make three columns: Object, Estimation and Actual.
- Have him then write the names of the object he's measuring in the first column.
- Prompt him to guess how long or the item is. You can use inches or centimeters depending on what he's most comfortable with.
- Once he's done estimating each item, he can actually measure each item and see how close he was.