Get your beauty sleep, or just rest your tired eyes, with this useful and fun craft—an eye pillow mask! This craft, disguised as a perfect pre-bedtime activity for a first sleepover, helps build up a ton of useful skills, like geometry, measurement, and proficiency with a needle and thread.
What You Need:
- Fabric scraps: at least two of them in a rectangular shape, about 12” x 5” each
- Scissors or sewing shears
- 2 pieces of yarn or pretty ribbon, 12” each
- Pillow batting (filling)
- Optional: lavender leaves
What You Do:
- Help your child find soft fabric in a color or design that she likes.
- Have her draw a figure-eight shape on the back of the fabric with a pencil. The shape should be large enough to fit over both of her eyes.
- Use the sewing shears to carefully cut out the shape. Have her lay it over the other fabric scrap and trace around it, then cut out the second shape.
- Lay the two pieces of fabrics together, the backs of each piece facing one another. Help her thread a needle – it’s best to use thread that’s the same color as the fabric so that the stitches will blend in. Her knot from the thread should go on the fabric’s back side.
- Have her stitch around the sides of the eye mask shape, continuing until there’s about a two-inch opening left between the fabric pieces.
- Have her stuff batting into the opening to fill the mask. She may wish to also place lavender leaves inside the pillow to give it a pleasing fragrance.
- Have her sew up the final 2 inches of the mask.
- Have her choose yarn or ribbon to be the side mask holders. She can place the yarn about ½ inch in from one end, on the eye side of the mask. Using more thread, have her sew the yarn to the mask.
- Repeat step #8 for the other piece of yarn, straight across from the 1st piece.
- Have her put the mask on and tie the yarn around her head. Cut off some yarn if it’s too long.
- Now she can use the mask to enjoy a snooze or rest her eyes, or perhaps relax underneath it as part of a spa afternoon!
Washington Virtual Academies
Tuition-free online school for Washington students.