Has your child ever been curious about her role in the family lineage and her relation to those who came before her? Why not offer her an interactive approach to understanding how she came to be in this world and the ways in which she has impacted those members still living in your family.
What You Need:
- Large poster board
- Family members
- Flat, uncarpeted surface
- Paper towels
- Plastic container
- Paint stick
What You Do:
- Hand your child some old pages of newspaper and a piece of poster board.
- Place several pages of unfolded newspaper on a hard (uncarpeted) and flat surface
- Have your child place the piece of poster board down next to the spread out sheets of newspaper.
- With a screwdriver, carefully open up a can of paint.
- Have your child stir the paint with a paint stick.
- Allow your child to help you pour some of the paint into a plastic container big enough for a large foot to fit. A paint pan would also work well for this step.
- If the paint is still thick, add a little bit of water and stir again with a paint stick.
- Set the plastic container onto the newspaper.
- Wet 5-10 paper towels and keep them handy for your family members.
- Have your child gather together all the members of your family.
- Let her guide the oldest family member to step up onto the newspaper so he or she can dip a single foot into the paint.
- Tell the family member to allow the excess paint to drip back into the plastic container.
- Have the family member step down onto the pages of newspaper a few times before finally stepping onto the poster board, successfully leaving behind a footprint to represent the role they play in the family.
- Tell the family member to wipe what’s left of the paint off of their feet with a wet paper towel.
- Repeat steps 11-14 for each member of the family. You may want to keep extra newspaper handy so you can set more down for each individual person.
- Allow the paint to dry.
- Once dry, hand your child a pen and have her write in the names and family roles of each person who participated in making this family feet creation.
- Help your child connect the feet so she can see and understand her family lineage.