What You Do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a mixer, beat the egg and egg yolk, sugar and orange zest until pale and thick. On low speed, add the oil and orange juice until blended. Then add sour cream until fully blended into the batter (you won’t see any white streaks or clumps).
- On low speed, add in the flour mixture. Pour ¼ cup of batter into each cup. Bake for about 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean from the cupcake. Let the tin cool before removing cupcakes. Makes 12 cupcakes.
- 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 6 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- zest of one orange
- 3 -4 tablespoons orange juice
To make the frosting:
- Set up your mixer with the paddle attachment.
- On low speed, beat together the butter, cream cheese, powdered sugar, orange zest, and 3 tablespoons of the orange juice until the frosting looks light and creamy.
- If the mixture looks to thick, add one more tablespoon of orange juice
- Frost and decorate as you wish!
What You Need:
- 1 cup strawberries (organic frozen work well)
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 cups water
What You Do:
- In a blender, puree the strawberries. Then add the lemon juice, sugar and water and blend until smooth. Makes about 1 1/4 quarts (5 cups).
Mindy Wright is a cooking instructor and owner of Patacake Parties.