This pretty homemade feather pin will tickle your child’s fashion fancy! Make this fluffy, fun jewelry as a unique fashion statement or a trendy gift for a lucky recipient.
What You Need:
- 2-4 colorful feathers
- Invisible tape
- Jewelry pin backing
- Fabric pieces
- Sewing needle and thread
What You Do:
- Let your child choose some craft feathers in any colors she likes. She should also choose a small piece of fabric to match the feathers.
- Help her group the feathers together so that the bases of the feathers are touching. The tops should fan out from one another.
- Next, have her wrap a piece of invisible tape around the bases of the feathers to hold them together.
- Have her cut a rectangular piece from the fabric, long enough to wrap around the feather base one or more times, but not so wide so that it covers the feathers (it should cover just the base of the feathers). A piece around 8 inches long and 1 inch wide would work best.
- Next, she should wrap the fabric around the feather base enough times to have the ends of the fabric meet in the back of the feathers’ base. She can use invisible tape to secure it while she prepares a needle and thread.
- You may wish to help her prepare the needle and thread, and then she can sew the back of the fabric ends together.
- If her jewelry pin backing has a sticker attachment mechanism, she can peel the sticker and attach it to the back of the piece of fabric. If not, she can sew the pin backing through holes in the back of the pin. Help her knot the thread ends and cut off any loose ends.
- Next she can wear and enjoy her feathery festive pin. She can also make more in various feather colors and fabric colors for herself or to give as gifts to friends!
Beth Levin has an M.A. in Curriculum and Education from Columbia University Teachers College. She has written educational activities for Macmillan/McGraw-Hill and Renaissance Learning publishers. She has a substitute teaching credential for grades K-12 in Oregon, where she lives with her husband and two daughters.