Feathered Friends Activity
Create a feather-covered bird that won't fly away! This self-standing sculpture is heavily textured and layered. It'll give your kid an opportunity to experiment with layering and is a fun way to celebrate warmer weather.
What You Need:
- Recycled paper tube
- Colorful feathers
- Googly eyes
- Orange foam
- Tempera paint
What You Do:
- Have your child paint the tube using any color paints or patterns he likes. Allow the paint to dry completely.
- Have him cut a small handful of feathers in half. We used 3-4 cut feathers per bird.
- He can now glue the googly eyes onto his bird's face.
- Have him cut a small triangle from the orange foam to create a bird beak. Gently bend it almost in half and help him glue it to the face of the bird.
- Glue feathers around the bird's body. It's okay if you can see the paint coming through the feathers, this just makes the bird even more beautiful.
- Don't forget to have him attach one or two feathers at the very top of the bird to give it a colorful crown.
- Make as many feathered friends as you like and share them with your human friends!