These easy-to-make felt friends are created by sewing two pieces of felt together with yarn. They make great gifts for holidays such as Easter. Your child could also make a variety of animals to create a personalized zoo.
What You Need:
- Hole punch
- Googly eyes
- Newspaper (optional)
What You Do:
- Have your child fold a sheet of felt in half and draw an oval shape with a pencil.
- Cut through the folded felt following the pencil line to create two identical pieces of felt.
- He can now stack the felt ovals and draw dots one inch apart along the edge of the top oval.
- Encourage him to use the hole punch to punch holes through both sheets of felt at the same time.
- Have him crumple a piece of newspaper, or a small folded piece of felt and glue it to the center of the bottom oval.
- Help him thread a piece of yarn into one of the holes from the bottom felt oval and through the same hole on the top felt oval. Weave this yarn over and under threading both ovals together. Tie a knot at the end once all holes are sewn together.
- He can now attach the googly eyes and attach any other elements he wants from felt or other materials to finish his felt animals.
If he's feeling really creative he could invent his very own felt creatures!