Christmas Gift Bag
This year, make sure the packaging for your child’s gifts are as beautiful as what’s inside! You’re your child how easy it is to create her very own gift bag using colorful felt and yarn. Once it’s done, she can decorate it with names, glitter and sequins for an eco-friendly, reusable bag that will look beautiful under the tree. It can also double as a mini-holiday purse!
What You Need:
- Light blue, dark blue and white felt
- Red yarn
- Hole punch
- Glitter glue
What You Do:
- Have your child place a piece of light blue felt vertically, and cut it in half down the center for two long pieces. You’ll only need one strip for this project.
- Now your child can fold the strip of felt in half horizontally and leave one side longer than the other for a flap of the bag.
- With the flap open, mark several dots along the either side of the bag, close to the edge.
- Punch holes on the marks, so you have two rows of holes on either side of the bag.
- Now your child can thread red yarn through the holes creating “stitches”. Thread through all the holes except the top hole on each side. These will be used for the bag’s closure.
- Tie knots at the top and bottom holes to secure the yarn in place.
- Turn the flap down and fold it so it stays closed.
- Measure the width of the flap of your bag.
- On dark blue felt, draw a triangle that has a base the same length as the length of the flap. This is a great time to learn about sizes and shapes.
- Cut the triangle out and glue it upside down, to the top of the flap of the bag. It will provide the area to glue the snowflake onto.
- Now your child can decorate! Draw and cut out a snowflake from white felt and glue it on the blue triangle. There will be parts of the snowflake that hang off of the triangle.
- Add glitter glue designs to your snowflake to add extra sparkle.
- Finally, your child can make a handle by cutting some yarn and tying the ends to the top holes on either side of the bag.
Fill your gift bag with goodies or wear it as a beautiful winter accessory!