Let your child express himself with a personal statement in pillow form! He'll have a blast attaching colorful felt cut-outs with wild, wacky designs to his pillow. This is a great project for a rainy afternoon and just the thing for your child to take to bed at night.
This activity will let your child tap into his vast creativity and show him just how simple it can be to create fun projects out of only a few simple supplies. Using the imagination also helps improve creative thinking and problem solving, two crucial skills that will help him excel in school. Who knew home decorating could reap so many benefits?
What You Need:
- Colored felt
- Hot glue gun
- Pillow stuffing
What You Do:
- Ask your child what color he envisions for his pillow and help him cut out two large squares of felt in that color. Remind him that the front and back can be different colors if he chooses, and that the size of the squares of felt he cuts will determine how big, or small, his pillow will be.
- With the two felt squares stacked one on top of the other, help your child carefully glue the outside edges together, leaving one side open.
- Have your child stuff the pillow, deciding how fluffy or full it should be.
- Help him seal the open side with the glue gun.
- Now that the pillow is assembled, let the design fun begin! Let him have fun cutting out shapes and designs from the felt. If he likes, he can choose a theme. A day and night theme is a fun idea: decorate one side with a moon and stars and the other with clouds and a bright shining sun!
- Using the hot glue gun, help your child carefully attach each cut-out to the pillow. Let him decide where each piece should go.
Now your child has a colorful pillow to take to bed at night!
Washington Virtual Academies
Tuition-free online school for Washington students.