All it takes is some colored felt fabric, a needle, thread, and a few beads and your daughter can make decorative felt pinwheels. Soon she’ll have a colorful head band. Help her work on her sewing skills as she cuts, threads a needle and sews beads into place. She’ll come away from the experience with pride in a job well done.
What You Need:
- Scrap felt in two colors
- Small beads or buttons
- Needle and thread
- An elastic head band
What You Do:
- Cut two squares, approximately 2 inches by 2 inches, from felt in two colors.
- Position the ruler diagonally across one felt square, from the top left corner to the bottom right corner. Mark the center of the felt square. Starting 1/8 inch from center, draw a line from this point to the closest corner. Repeat to other corner. Use this sample as a guide.
- Now repeat Step 2, positioning the ruler from top right to bottom left.
- Cut on these lines.
- Fold the top left flap into the center of the square and with a stitch or two, sew it into place. Do not knot off or cut the thread. Turn the square and repeat with the next top left corner. Repeat until all four corners have been tacked into place.
- Sew a small button or several beads into place to hide these stitches. Knot off and cut thread. You now have a finished pinwheel.
- Repeat Steps 5 and 6 with second square.
- Sew pinwheels onto the head band. Help your daughter hide the stitches among the beads or sew again through the button.
Make as many pinwheels as you want, in all colors and sizes! They can be used to decorate a purse or backpack, and can even be worn as a necklace or earrings.