How to Make Finger Puppets
Use whatever arts and crafts materials you have at home to make your own original set of finger puppets. Using finger puppets will enhance your child's fine motor skills, and he'll gain practice in storytelling and using his imagination as he plays with the finished products.
What You Need:
- Sewing machine, or needle and thread
- Fabric scraps, buttons, sequins, feathers and craft eyes
- White glue or hobby glue
- Felt pens
What to Do:
- Help your child cut two pieces of felt, about 3 inches long by 2 inches wide. He can cut out more pieces if he wants to make more than one puppet.
- Place one piece of felt on top of the other and sew a zigzag stitch around the felt, making the top rounded and leaving the bottom open for finger access.
- When the body is sewn together have him glue materials to the base to create an animal, person or character. Encourage him to be creative with the different characters he will create. He can use yarn or feathers for hair, buttons for eyes, and anything else he can think of! He can also use the felt pens to draw on any extra features he wants to include. When he's done, set aside the puppet to dry.
- After it's all dry, encourage him to make up stories, plays or dances using his new finger puppets as the main characters.
If you want to avoid sewing, a quick and easy way to make finger puppets is by simply cutting the fingers off an old glove. These finger pieces can then be decorated as desired and used in fun finger plays.