A fingerprint heart is a lovely craft for little hands to make on Valentine's Day. Instead of the typical cards and candy that we dole out to show our affection, why not help your child create something that's a little more personal? This fingerprint heart makes a great decoration, or you can encourage your child to give his finshed creation to someone special. Create a glittering fingerprint heart with your child this Valentine's Day.
What You Need:
- Ink pad
What You Do:
- Hand your child a piece of paper and a pencil.
- Using the pencil, have him draw the shape of a heart on the piece of paper.
- Pull out two ink pads, each with different colored ink in them, and hand them to your child. If you can’t get your hands on any ink, consider using two different colors of paint instead.
- First, have your child press the thumb of his right hand into one of the ink pads.
- Instruct him to leave evenly spaced thumb prints all along the outline of the right side of the heart.
- Then, have him press his index finger into the second ink pad.
- In between the spaces where he left his thumbprints, have him leave fingerprints along the outline of the heart.
- Instruct him to fill in the heart using all the rest of his fingers on his right hand and remind him to alternate between his two color choices. He may have to wash his hands a few times throughout this activity in order to keep the alternating color pattern clean.
- Have him continue to leave his fingerprints until the right side has been completely filled in.
- Have him repeat steps 4-9 with his left hand to complete the left side of the heart.
- Once completely filled in, hand your child the glue and have him dab a few dots of glue in the middle of all of the fingerprints of the same color.
- Have him sprinkle glitter on the heart.
- Once done, repeat steps 11 and 12 for the fingerprints of the other color using a different color glitter. Allow to dry.
- Once dry, carefully tilt the paper so any remaining glitter can slide off.
Your child now has a nifty heart that he can either hang in his room or give to somebody he loves.