Stay Active With Fitness Tic-Tac-Toe Activity
Who says you have to play Tic-Tac-Toe sitting down? This twist on the classic pencil and paper game offers you and your child a chance to get some fresh air and exercise. Children need at least 30 minutes of physical activity a day to help build strength and coordination, and this is a perfect way to get that crucial time in. Turning fitness into a game helps keep your child's interest and makes physical activity fun. Encourage your child to stay active and help her establish healthy habits that will follow her into adulthood.
What You Need:
- Checkers pieces or poker chips in two colors
What You Do:
- Draw a tic-tac-toe grid (3 x 3 square grid) on a piece of paper.
- Cut another piece of paper into small slips and write a different fitness activity on each one. Place the slips of paper in a bag or container. You can choose from the list of fitness activities below or think of your own activities.
- Now that the game is set up, it's time to begin playing! Have each player pick a color. To begin the game, player one plays a chip on the tic-tac-toe board, then picks a fitness activity out of the bag.
- Both players do the fitness activity.
- Player two repeats steps 3-4 to take his turn. Continue taking turns playing a chip and picking an activity until one player wins or there is a tie.
Try these simple fitness exercises:
- 10 abdominal crunches
- 2 different Yoga stretches
- 10 push-ups
- 20 arm circles
- 20 jumping jacks
- 15 scissor kicks (on your back)
- 10 body twists
- Touch toes (with legs straight) for 20 seconds
- 15 high-knee steps
- 10 leg squats (straight back, arms forward)
- Balance one leg for 20 seconds and repeat with the other leg
- Hula hoop for 30 seconds
- Balance on a bean bag on 4 different body parts, 8 seconds each
- Jump rope for 30 seconds
- Throw and catch a beanbag while trying to clap (up to 5 claps)
- Play with a scoop and ball for 30 seconds (do two different challenges)
- Arm curl a light weight 10 times smoothly for each arm
- Hopscotch in and out of the entire pattern once