What’s for dinner? Let your child show off his culinary prowess as he whips up this nutritious and delicious salmon recipe in no time. All it requires is heating up tortillas, adding seasoned and broiled salmon, a little sour cream, salsa verde and thinly shredded cabbage. The tacos can be served two ways: Soft and warm or pan fried and crispy.
What You Do:
- Turn the broiler on.
- Ask your child to coat a broiling pan with non-stick cooking spray and lay the salmon onto the pan.
- Sprinkle the salmon with salt, steakhouse seasoning and smoked paprika.
- Place the salmon into the oven on the middle rack. Broil the fish for 10 minutes or until cooked through in the middle.
- While the fish is cooking, shred the cabbage and set it aside.
- Have your child carefully remove the salmon from the oven, roughly cut it into 12 4-ounce pieces, and set it aside.
- Heat a sauté pan over medium-high heat and warm the tortillas up for about 15 seconds on each side. Keep them warm in a cloth until you are ready to use them. If you prefer crispy taco shells, follow steps 7 through 11. Otherwise, skip to step 12.
- In a heavy pan, heat up about half an inch of oil over medium-high heat.
- Carefully lay a tortilla into the oil and let it cook for about 15 seconds.
- With tongs, flip the tortilla over and fold it in half. Hold the tortilla in place for about 15 more seconds. It can be a little tricky at first, so you may want to help your child until he gets the hang of it.
- Repeat with all the tortillas and set them on paper towels to drain any excess oil.
- Working quickly while the tortillas are still warm, place a tortilla on your work surface. Then fill it with a piece of salmon, a teaspoon of salsa verde, a teaspoon of sour cream, and some cabbage.
- Repeat step 12 until you have made all 12 tacos.
- Arrange them on a platter with wedges of lime, if desired.
- Serve and enjoy right away!
Serve the tacos with a black bean and corn salad and you'll have yourself a light, refreshing meal to perk up any family gathering or celebration!