Serve a homemade breakfast for someone special with these mouthwatering flower pancakes that are decorated with fresh fruit. These pretty pancakes will treat your loved ones well because they're sugar free and whole wheat, so all they get is a wholesome meal that will energize them for the day. Even young children will be able to help prepare and shape them, while picking up some cooking skills.
What You Need:
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder.
- Beaten egg
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
- 2 bowls
- Your favorite fruit
What You Do:
- Equip your child with all the supplies and have him mix up the first three ingredients in a large bowl.
- Now he can mix the wet ingredients together by pouring the egg, milk, oil and syrup or honey into another bowl.
- Have your child create a well in the middle of the dry ingredients by pressing down the middle with his fist. Now he can pour the wet ingredients into the well, and mix until the batter comes together. It's best not to overmix, so the pancakes come out soft and fluffy.
- To make the flower pancakes, you can experiment with making a freehand flower by pouring a circle of batter in the middle of a hot, lightly oiled pan and then pouring several petals around the center. This is easiest when you use a spouted container, like a glass measuring cup. For our fail-proof method, make several small silver dollar sized pancakes, and then arrange them into the flower shape once they're on the plate.
- Now your child can decorate the pancake with fresh fruit. Dipping the fruit into honey or maple syrup will keep it from rolling off the pancakes and add a bit of sweetness. Let your child be creative-strawberries make beautiful petals, and kiwi slices are the perfect flower center.