Make a Folded Paper Illuminaria!
This simple illuminaria uses a Christmas theme but also can be made for any season or holiday: hearts for Valentine's Day, pumpkins for Halloween, etc. It's so fun that parents and kids alike will enjoy making a new one for each special holiday!
What You Need:
- large sheet of construction paper
- double-sided tape
- small sheets of vellum
- tea light
- cookie cutter to trace the tree (optional)
What You Do:
- Fold the sheet in half. (a) Then measure in 1/2" from the end and make a fold. (b)
- Bring the end to the fold line (c). Again bring this end to the fold line (d) and then do it once more (e). Be careful not to put a crease in this fold.
- Take your shape and put it as shown in diagram (e) and trace it. Next take your scissors or knife and cut out along the dotted line (f) (g).
- Open up the sheet as shown (h) and put strips of double side tape on the paper (gray strips), lay a sheet of vellum on the tape and press down. Take some more double-sided tape (blue strips) and put it on the vellum and open areas of the paper.
- At this point you may use small pieces of craft sticks along the bottom edge for support and hold the shape. First measure from edge to edge and cut the sticks to fit in between. Put a strip of double-sided tape on the paper; lay the stick on top and then another strip of tape on top of the stick.
- After all the pieces are in place fold the top back down onto the section with the vellum and sticks and rub together well.
- You may decorate the opening with metallic markers, colored pencils or crayons. Also a neat idea is to punch little holes in the vellum so that it looks like twinkle lights.
- Put some tape or glue on the overlapped end and set it inside the end as shown. Press and you are finished.
- Put a tea-light on a small tuna can (you can paint it) or similar holder and light and enjoy!
Check out more of our Halloween decoration ideas.