Fortune Teller Box
Want to get your fortune told? Step right up and make your own fortune teller box out of a shoe box! Amaze and delight all your friends as you pull fortunes right out of a fortune teller's mouth.
What You Need:
- Shoe box
- White paper
- Tempera paint
- Paint brushes
- Acrylic jewels
- Glue stick
- Thin markers
What You Do:
- Paint the shoe box a solid color. If there is writing on the shoe box (such as logos, price tags, etc.) , make sure the paint you use is dark enough to cover them up. Allow time for your shoe box to dry.
- Draw your fortune teller on the front of the box with a pencil. Consider adding fun details like a turban or a scarf.
- Using your pencil illustration as a guide, paint in the fortune teller. Allow to dry.
- Cut a thin rectangle out of the shoe box where the fortune teller's mouth is. The hole needs to be large enough that a strip of paper can fit through, but not so big that it overtakes the fortune teller's entire face.
- Glue on the acrylic jewels to complete the fortune teller's magical appearance. You can use the jewels as the mysterious man's eyes or just as accents in his turban.
- Cut a white sheet of paper into narrow strips. Glue the ends of the paper together with a glue stick. The actual length of the final paper strip depends on you. The more paper you have, the more fortunes you'll be able to include.
- Take one end of the long strip of paper and write a fortune on it. Draw a vertical line between that fortune and the next one you write. Continue this until you have filled up the entire strip of paper.
- Use a toothpick to poke three evenly spaced holes along the vertical drawn lines on your paper strip. This will create a perforation, allowing each new fortune to be easily ripped off.
- Carefully wind the fortunes around your hand so that they don't get tangled.
- Place the fortunes into the shoe and gently string the start of the paper through the teller's mouth text side up, until you see the first perforation. Close the box lid and sit your fortune teller upright.
- You are now ready to share fortunes with your friends!