Frozen Chocolate-Covered Bananas
Who doesn’t want a healthy and tasty dessert on a hot summer evening? Trade the butterfat and sugar of ice cream for the sublime sweetness of a frozen chocolate-covered banana. This fun and simple dessert is easy for kids to create themselves, and will please the whole family.
What You Need:
- 4 ripe bananas
- 4 craft sticks
- 1 bag of chocolate chips
- Small saucepan along with a metal or glass bowl that fits over the top
- Parchment paper
What You Do:
- Invite your child to peel four ripe bananas, then gently press the craft sticks into the bananas at one of the ends and just slightly to the side.
- Now your child can place the bananas on a sheet of parchment paper placed on a plate. Next, she can place those bananas in the freezer to prep them for the next part of the recipe.
- Help your child fill half of a small saucepan with water and simmer it over medium heat. She can place the metal or glass bowl over the top of the pan, which creates a double-boiler.
- Now she can put the chocolate chips in the glass bowl and gently stir with the spatula until the chocolate is melted. Offer help as needed – the saucepan will be hot!
- Once all the chocolate has melted, invite your child to turn off the heat and get the bananas out of the freezer.
- Now she can dip the cold bananas in the chocolate, using the spatula to help coat them as necessary. Once each banana has been coated, your child can place them back on the parchment covered plate and then back in the freezer.
- Let the chocolate-covered bananas chill in the freezer for at least an hour before giving them a taste.