Create a vibrant and dazzling array of flowers by blending and scraping into paint! Mix and swirl tempera paint on paper to create beautiful colors, then cut out the flowers to create a festive collage. This is a beautiful way to create a one-of-a-kind card for your best friend or loved one.
What You Need:
- White watercolor paper, 11” x 17”
- White or colored construction paper for the background, 11” x 17”
- Tempera paints (bright colors only)
- Toothpicks and stir sticks (old toothbrushes are also fun!)
- Glue stick
- Black oil pastel or black paint marker
What You Do:
- Pour tempera paint into paint dishes so the colors are easily accessible.
- Dip, pour, splash and swirl tempera paint onto the watercolor paper, covering the entire page. Use a paintbrush for more control, and slowly pour paint on the paper for small puddles of intense color.
- Scrape and mold the color using toothpicks and stir sticks, or scrub it with a toothbrush. If the paint is super wet, allow it to dry for a while before scraping into it for more control. Discuss different types of patterns that can be scraped or drawn into the paint such as; zig-zags, polka dots, stars, hearts and bubbles.
- Allow the painting to completely dry.
- Use a pencil to draw outlines of your favorite flowers. Draw additional, stems and petals to collage onto the final image.
- Cut all flowers, stems and petals out of the painted paper.
- Either fold the blank construction paper in half for a card, or lay it down so it is vertical to create a collaged painting.
- Lay out all of your cut out flowers, stems and petals. Allow for overlaps to occur so it looks more organic.
- Use the glue stick to carefully glue down your stems, flowers and additional petals.
- Go back in with a black oil pastel or black paint marker to draw in details or trace the flowers.
When it's finished drying, hang your beautiful flower bouquet for everyone to enjoy, or give it to someone you love!