Make a Geoboard! Activity
When it comes to learning, sometimes it's the simplest things that can be the most effective. You and your child can make your very own geoboard with a few simple supplies from your local hardware store. This is a fun and inexpensive project and it's a great way for your child to build basic geometry skills, like shape recognition and pattern and angle familiarity. Plus it's loads of fun!
What You Need:
- Pegboard, 12" x 12"
- Nuts and Bolts, sized to the pegboard
- Rubber bands, multi-colored
- Small container with lid
What You Do:
- Help your child push the bolts through the holes in the pegboard, securing them on the back with the nuts. The front of the geoboard is the side with the protruding bolt ends. Each hole should have a bolt in place.
- Your geoboard is ready!
- Place all the rubber bands in the small container with lid.
- Encourage your child to use the rubber bands to create shapes, designs and patterns by stretching the rubber bands around the bolts. She can also overlap the bands to create a variety of complex designs.
- When finished, have her take all the rubber bands off of the geoboard and place them back in the container for later.