Giant Candy Corn Activity
If you ask trick-or-treaters what their favorite Halloween candy is, many will reply: "Candy corn!" This yummy, tri-colored candy has been around since the late 1800's. It's become a sugary staple during the cool fall months. Your child can commemorate the best Halloween candy of all time using foam sheets. This activity will give your little monster a little practice tracing and matching triangular shapes to create her own visual confection.
What You Need:
- Foam sheets, 3 different colors
- Craft glue
What You Do:
- Ask your child to place one sheet of foam on the table in a vertical, or portrait position. This will end up being the base color for the candy corn.
- Have her draw a giant triangle on the foam. Then, have her round out all of the corners to create a candy corn shape.
- Help her cut out the shape with scissors.
- Lay the cut out shape onto the next sheet of vertically placed foam. This layer of foam will be the middle color of the candy corn. Have her move the shape up or down to determine how much of the bottom color she would like to not have covered with the middle shape.
- Once in place, have her trace around the remaining shape onto the second piece of foam. Cut this shape out.
- Encourage her to lay the second shape on top of the third sheet of foam. The third sheet will create the tip of the candy corn. Adjust it accordingly, trace it and cut it out.
- Ask her to glue the cut out shapes in order on top of the first cut out candy corn shape. When she's all finished she'll have a giant striped candy corn confection made from foam!