Make a gingerbread house with your child with this easy-to-follow tutorial! As delightful as it is to make a gingerbread house with traditional ingredients and construction, the structure itself can be a bit of a wobbly headache. Getting large pieces of gingerbread to fit together with frosting glue is not an easy task, especially for a child's hands. Make a gingerbread house suited for children's hands this year, using a milk carton base and graham cracker walls! As your child's imagination is stimulated, his dexterity and motor skills will receive a boost!
What You Need:
- 1 empty, washed, pint-size milk carton
- 6 full rectangular sheets of graham crackers
- 3 cups white frosting, homemade or store bought
- 8" x 8" piece of cardboard
- 1 sq. ft. aluminum foil
- Candy (can be gum drops, peppermints, licorice, etc.)
- Decorating bag (optional)
What You Do:
- To create a base for the gingerbread house, help your child wrap the piece of cardboard in aluminum foil.
- Have your child place a dollop of frosting on the cardboard where you want the house to go. Press the milk carton firmly into place.
- Make sure the milk carton is closed. Below the opening of the carton, on either side, there will be a triangular space exposed. Cut a graham cracker to create two triangles that will fit each of these spaces.
- Ask your child to frost the graham cracker triangles, treating the frosting like glue, and place them firmly into place.
- Have him also frost the rest of the milk carton, and press the remaining graham crackers into place. There should be enough graham cracker pieces to cover the entire house, but it doesn't hurt to have a couple extra in case any break.
- Use the holiday candies as decoration for the milk carton house. For example, licorice pieces can be constructed into windows and doors. If desired, decorating bags filled with frosting can be used to create detailed designs.
Invite your little one to get creative with this project, adding other food items that keep well as he sees fit. Put his creation on display this holiday season and watch him glow with pride!