Gluten Free Chicken Nuggets
With just a few simple ingredients, you and your kids can whip up a batch of these flavorful nuggets that are perfect for snacking on any time of the day. They taste just as good as, if not better than, the fast food kind and cost about half as much as the pricey frozen variety you can find in supermarkets. Not to mention, they're a healthy option that will help give those growing bodies the lean protein they need. Children of all ages will put their fine motor skills to use as they mix the meat with spices, roll the nuggets in a crispy rice coating and flatten them into nuggets. And you'll feel good knowing that gluten-sensitive members of the family can enjoy them!
What You Need:
- 1 ¼ pound ground turkey, preferably dark meat
- 1 pound ground chicken, preferably dark meat
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried sage (optional)
- 3-4 tablespoons coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups organic crispy rice cereal
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay
- 1 teaspoon salt
What You Do:
- Have your child mix the meats together with the spices. Tip: Wet your child's hands to keep the mixture from sticking.
- Spoon out portions of the meat and gently roll them into small balls of the same size. Even young preschoolers can get in on the fun and practice using their small hand muscles.
- Ask your child to drop the meat into the cereal mixture and coat all sides well. Slightly flatten them with your hands so they resemble chicken nugget shapes.
- Heat a skillet on medium heat with 2 tablespoons of coconut oil. Working in batches, place the nuggets in the oil and fry until they are crispy, about 3-4 minutes on each side. Add a little more oil as needed for each batch.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Enjoy the warm nuggets alone or with your favorite dipping sauce.
- As an alternative to crispy rice cereal coating, you can use rice flour, almond flour or corn meal. But the crispy rice cereal is a favorite among kids because it gives the nuggets a great crunch!
- To reheat the nuggets, simply place them in a 350 degree preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes. This recipe makes approximately 44 nuggets.
Like this recipe? Check out some other gluten free recipes here.
Recipe courtesy of Marlese Ramirez-Carroll, Nutrition Consultant