Whether it’s moving to the next grade level or finishing college, graduation symbolizes moving into a new phase of life. Make graduation a special and memorable occasion by adding a creative and personal touch to graduation gifts for your family’s favorite graduates. With a dab of paint and a splash of creative inspiration, you can transform a plain wooden clothespin into a clever character clip that's perfect for securing cards to gifts. Personalize the clip to look like the graduate or any other character of your choice.
What You Need:
- Glitter, stickers, or other decorations
What You Do:
- Talk with your child about what kind of character he would like to create with the clothespin. He could create one that looks like the graduate, his favorite cartoon character, or just an original, silly face. Animals with prominent jaws, such as alligators or sharks, also work well with the clothespin shape.
- Invite your child to paint a background color on the clothespin, leaving the underside unpainted so it doesn't stick to your work surface when it dries. If desired, the underside can be painted once the top is dry.
- When the paint is dry, have your child add eyes, facial features, and other decorations using glitter glue, stickers, pipe cleaners, markers, or other available art supplies.
- Clip the completed clothespin to the ribbon on a wrapped gift, and place the graduate’s card in the jaws of the clothespin.
Did You Know? The practice of wearing a graduation cap and gown began in the Middle Ages, around the twelfth or thirteenth century. That’s more than 800 years ago!