Every Halloween celebration needs a few scary monsters! This activity will help your child practice counting, tracing and cutting to create her very own green monster. Once she's all finished, her monster will be ready to startle guests with his curly fingers that are just itching to grab some candy!
What You Need:
- Paper plate
- Construction paper
- Tempera paint
- Craft glue
What You Do:
- Help your child paint the back of a paper plate green. Let dry completely.
- Ask her to fold a sheet of construction paper in half and trace one of her hands with fingers spread out on top of the folded paper. Cut out the hand along the drawn lines to create two hands.
- Ask your child to cut out an oval for the monster's nose using the scrap paper left over from the hands.
- Have her cut out a mouth, eyes and eyebrows from the construction paper.
- Show her how to curl the fingers using a pencil. Demonstrate curling one finger, then have her curl the remaining nine fingers. She can count as she goes to sneak in a bit of math practice!
- Ask her to attach all of the elements of her monster to the paper plate.
- Hang the paper plate on the front door to scare some trick-or-treaters!
Washington Virtual Academies
Tuition-free online school for Washington students.